For my midterm assignment, I’ve decided to build a hanging desk I saw in a CB2 catalog. Here are images of what their desk looks like:
I really like their design so for the moment I’m going to try and replicate it. Here are my own sketches:
At the bottom of my sketch page I’ve included a “challenge section”–I’m thinking about including gears on the sides of the structure that turn as the desk drawer is opened.
I also made a cardboard prototype:
Last week we had decided to make a box out of three masks. We cut up a bunch of cardboard prototypes to figure out how we wanted the masks to fit (like using slits or interlocking teeth on the sides). We ultimately decided that the most fool-proof method was to create a base with slots that the masks could slide in and out of. As long as the slots were correctly spaced apart, the masks’ sides would match up and create the appearance of a closed box. Here is a small prototype we made using scrap acrylic. There’s no base yet so the masks are being held together with tape:
We designed the masks in Adobe Illustrator. We decided to use the dimensions of the average male face–7 inches in width and 9 inches long. We also used guidelines to make sure the eyes would end up in the right place. David didn’t choose any particular theme for his mask designs. My design was inspired by Mexican Day of the Dead masks. Here are a few images I used for inspiration:
Here is what the masks ended up looking like when they came out of the laser cutter!
Because we couldn’t find wood that was both thick enough and wide enough to fit all the masks into, we ended up adapting our method of fitting them together. We laser cut little joints that connected each side of the mask. Once the joints were in place, we traced the position of the masks on our remaining piece of wood (our base), uploaded a photo of the traced wood to Illustrator and traced again within the program. This way we were able to laser cut the small slots for our masks. Here’s the final product! It’s not really a “box” so much as a ceremonial candle holder, but we’re still pleased with the result.
Assignment: Build a non-rectangular box. The box must have an opening and be able to stand up by itself.
Our group began by proposing ideas. Below is my “idea page” with the first ideas that came to mind. I thought it might be interesting to make a spherical UFO that would balance perfectly without tilting over. I was also interested in making an “illusion box”–using mirrors to make it look like the box was empty even if it wasn’t. There is also an obligatory sketch of a pussy box.
At the bottom of the image above, there’s a sketch of three masks that come together to make a box. I was riffing on JunChao’s idea of building an angular mask. We were most interested in this idea so we made a few more sketches and some cardboard prototypes:
In the image above, you can see a few sketches of how I thought we might accomplish the task of getting the masks to piece together and come apart. In the first sketch I was trying to imagine interlocking “teeth”. In the second sketch, I drew slits in the front of the masks to allow them to slide into one another. The slit idea is how I designed two of the cardboard prototypes below.
Assignment: Select an oddly shaped object. Make one drawing of the object as you see it. Then, imagine how you would slice it into 2d pieces in order to recreate it, and draw samples of these slices.
Here is my wonky 3D rendering of a toy truck:
Here are the 2D slices. I split up the truck into four different sections–the wheel and axle, the front, the rear, and the staircase divider between the front and the wheel. If I’m correct, I could make a truck out of 18 pieces. This 18-piece count does not include the wheel and axel parts, or whatever I’d need to connect the wheels and axel to the body of the truck.